Skip to main content

About Your Driving Licence

As of the 8th June 2015 the paper counter part of your UK driving licence became obsolete. This means from now on you will only need your photo card driving licence when attending any motorcycle training, taking your motorcycle theory test or motorcycle practical tests.

Please note: You must have a UK driving licence (provisional or full) to attend any training or to take the motorcycle tests. If you have a driving licence issued from EU/EEA country you will need to fill out a D9 application which can be found here. If your licence was issued outside of the EU/EEA then you will need to contact the DVLA to apply for a UK provisional driving licence.

It is your responsibility to make sure you have the correct entitlements to learn to ride and that you are not attempting to attend your training course whilst serving any kind of a ban.

How to check your entitlements:

You can visit the DVLA website to check your licence entitlements.

GOV.UK Website


What if you have an older style paper licence issued before 1998?

That’s not a problem, all you need is your passport for I.D. purposes. Although please bear in mind:

  • Your licence needs to be legible (if we cannot read it, you cannot use it).
  • Your passport should be valid and in date, but we can accept it provided the photo is a true likeness. This will be at the discretion of the instructor on the day and their decision is final.

More information on your driving licence and the category restrictions can be found at the GOV.UK website.

GOV.UK Website